FSFM takes its responsibilities concerning client privacy and data protection seriously. We wish to be transparent about what information we collect and be clear about how it is used and managed. The personal data we collect and process is in accordance with UK and EU data protection laws and regulations.
The Policy covers the following:
- What personal (and sensitive) information is collected and processed in providing a mediation service for you as a client and through your use of our website;
- Where the information is collected from;
- How we use that data;
- The ways in which it is stored;
- Where it may be transferred or disclosed to;
- How we manage your data protection rights;
- Our compliance with the data protection rules.
The Data Controller
FSFM is the “data controller” and “processor” for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation, our registered office is at: Hope Cottage, Nant y Caws, Oswestry, Shropshire, SY10 9AN. (email@example.com)
What information is collected
This is any information which would allow you to be identified, for example: name, contact details, date of birth. Personal information may come to us via a referral from a legal representative or from you directly through: a letter, call, email, text or your use of our website / social media. It can include your name, address, date of birth, contact details, case details etc. Other information, such as that about your; mental health, is considered to be sensitive “special category data” and we will only process it with your explicit consent or if it is necessary for us to do so. Criminal convictions and allegations of criminality may be discussed in mediation, but no record of these will be collected or held.
How we use your personal information, why we do this and for how long we keep it:
- Primarily in providing a family mediation service to you;
- In payment and credit card processing, though we never store or hold your card details;
- Administrative and legal purposes, including: professional supervision and standards, evaluating the service, dealing with any complaint or claim or dispute, submissions to the Legal Aid Agency;
- Safeguarding and crime prevention may require us to pass information to; government authorities and / or enforcement bodies so that we can comply with our legal obligations.
We only process your personal information if we have a legal right to do so, this depends on what we need to use the information for and the reasons why it was collected. It is in our legitimate interest as operating as a family mediation service for us to do this. Children under the age of 16 will need their parent’s consent to provide personal and / or sensitive information to us.
The data will only be held for as long as is necessary (for a minimum of 12 months) and for the purpose it is being processed for. It depends on; the quantity, type and sensitivity of the data, the need for which we process it and whether this is necessary.
In order to deal with; claims, complaints, legal obligations and protection of our legal rights the information we process may be held for up to 7 years. After this it will be securely destroyed or deleted. Sensitive (Special Category Data) and financial disclosure documentation will be destroyed soon after your case has been closed. We will only retain and store information for as long as is necessary in our providing the service.
We carefully consider the secure storage and disclosure of your personal data and use reasonable endeavours to prevent its accidental or malicious loss. Our website uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology to encrypt personal information. Payment details are also protected in a similar way and in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards.
Personal data may be disclosed to third parties for the purposes as outlined in this Policy, as long as they have appropriate measures in place to protect your personal data.
Personal data sharing
This may be shared with the following third parties in line with the purposes set out in this policy:
- Legal representatives and the Courts;
- The Legal Aid Agency;
- Professional Supervision bodies, such as the Family Mediators Association, Family Mediation Council, Family Mediation Standards Board;
- Third party service providers, such as card payment processors, online services and email / website hosts.
We also use Google Analytics to gather information about how the website is used. This information is anonymous and is used statistically to improve the website.
In some circumstances, you have the right to:
- Ask if we have data about you, what it is and why we are processing / holding it, this is called a ‘data subject access request’, this would allow you to receive a copy (electronic format if requested) of any personal information we might be holding and check we are lawfully processing it;
- Ask that we correct any inaccuracies;
- Ask that we delete personal information if we do not have a valid reason for keeping or using it;
- Ask us to suspend the use of your personal information;
- Withdraw your consent, if this relates to collection, processing and transfer for a specific purpose
These rights can be exercised by contacting: Gareth Adams, Fresh Start Family Mediation, Hope Cottage, Nant y Caws, Oswestry, Shropshire, SY10 9AN. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you are under 16, you will need to have a parent / guardian’s permission before you communicate with us and / or provide us with any personal information. You must not provide us with personal information without first having obtained this permission.
Changes and updates to the policy
Changes to the policy may be made from time to time and will be communicated to you with a notice on our website.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only, it should in no circumstances be considered advice, legal or otherwise. The information is provided by Fresh Start Mediation and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you may be able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Fresh Start Mediation. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or that we endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up to date and running smoothly. However, Fresh Start Mediation takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control. We take reasonable care with the information that we publish on this site, but do not accept and expressly disclaim liability for any mistakes, errors or omissions in the site content.